How to Find Out What Electricity Company You Are With
For those of you who are uber-organized and know every single detail of your lives, you might be wondering how it’s possible to lose track of your electricity company. However, electricity companies in Texas are hard to keep a handle on because there are so many different ones. Electricity in Texas is deregulated, which means that you have the opportunity to choose which company you want to work with.
While deregulated electricity offers more freedom to homeowners, it also presents some difficulties. Over 150 different electricity companies known as REPs supply electricity to your home. If you signed up for your plan in a hurry or a long time ago, it’s entirely possible to forget who your electricity company is.
How to Find Out What Electricity Plan You’re Enrolled in
Getting to the bottom of who your electricity company is and what plan you’re enrolled in is extremely important. It’s the only way to stay on top of your finances and make sure you’re not paying more than what you should be.
Reasons People Lose Track of Their Electricity Company
We get it; life is hectic. You have your job, social life, family, and other utilities and monthly bills to worry about. It’s surprisingly easy to lose track of your electricity information and forget who your company is, and here’s why.
- There are over 150 REPs in Texas
In most states, people can simply do a google search to see who the electricity company in their area is to find their answer. However, depending on where you live in Texas, there might be a dozen or two dozen different electricity companies.
- You move to a new location.
Depending on where you move to, your electricity company will automatically transfer your new service without asking them. In the hustle and bustle of moving around, it’s possible to lose track of your electricity company amid the shuffle. Once you lose track of who your company is, it’s hard to find it again.
- Your electricity company changes names.
Because of how competitive electricity is in Texas, companies tend to change hands and get bought out. If your power company gets bought out by another one and changes to their name, you might never find out about it.
- You own property, but your previous tenant chose your electricity company, and the coverage carried over.
- You are subleasing a home and have no control over who your power company is.
- You simply forgot because you’ve been living at the same location for an extended period of time.
Now that you realize you’re not irresponsible for forgetting who your electric company is let’s look at how you can regain that information.
Check Your Email and Mail
Most electricity companies will send you your monthly statement via mail or email. Either way, as long as you didn’t throw your mail away or delete your email, you should be able to track down your power company. Here’s what you need to do.
- Gather up all your junk mail, emails, unopened mail, or mail that you saved and go through it.
- Somewhere within the last month, you should have a statement or invoice from your power company.
- If you’re searching your email, make sure to check your Inbox, Trash, and Spam folders.
- Check the name and sender of each piece of mail and email until you find the one that your electricity company sent. The actual content of the mail or email will have specific information about your electricity usage and how much you paid.
- Once you find this piece of information, you should call or email your electricity company and double-check that they are your company.
To keep this from happening, it’s a good idea to keep your utility bill information in a separate folder from the rest of your mail. You can do this with traditional mail or emails.
Check Your Credit Card or Bank Statements
If checking your mail and email doesn’t work, you can also track your electricity company with your credit card or banking statements.
If you have a credit card and pay most of your monthly bills using it, here’s how you track down your electricity company. You can do the same thing if you pay with checks or a debit card through your bank account.
- Log into your online account for your credit card and access one of your monthly statements.
- Locate the “Payments” or “Credits” section on your statement.
- Read each line and see what the payment is for. Take note of the names you recognize and those that you don’t.
- If a name jumps out at you; Great! If not, you can Google the company that’s listed and contact them to determine if they’re your lost power company.
Let EnerGenie Help You Figure It Out
For the easiest and best way to find out what electricity company you’re with, contact us at EnerGenie, and we’ll find out for you. We’ll also help you enroll with a new company and plan if you’re unhappy with your current one!
Why It’s Important to Stay on Top of Your Electricity Company and Plan
If you’ve forgotten what electric company you’re with, you likely have no idea what your electricity plan is or what you’re paying per month. If you want to save money, it’s extremely important to stay on top of your electricity expenses. You could be paying half of what you’re currently paying or even less when you let EnerGenie choose your electricity plan for you.
Power companies have hidden fees and expenses that often go unnoticed by the untrained eye. They also offer a variety of plans with different rates, perks, and tiered payments. Rather than spending hours manually researching all the plans in your area until you find the right one, contact us at EnerGenie. Not only will we figure out who your electricity company is, but we’ll also help you get out of your current contract and get into a better one!
Save on your electricity bill with EnerGenie
How EnerGenie Works
EnerGenie technology works behind the scenes to save you money and be your energy concierge, to give you, the homeowner, peace of mind.
We are currently comparing electricity rates of
1434 Plans from 49 Providers
EnerGenie Proudly Serves Texas
Our Office is in Texas
Houston, TX 77042